Updated: October 22, 2021
1. What information do we collect?
In order to provide you with access to the Site, we may gather and process some or all of the following information. Any of this collected information may include Personal Data.
Registration Information: any information, such as your name, email address, country of residence, browser and/or device information, provided when voluntarily registering for newsletters, updates and other services offered through the Site.
Customer Service Communications: any comments, suggestions, or information that is reported to us about the operation of the Site, including bug reports or requests for enhancements.
Audit Logs and Aggregate Data: The Site collects information that helps us to provide you with a better and more reliable service. This information includes Audit Logs that record basic information about your interactions with the Site. These Audit Logs include the following information:
● Timestamp of request
● Location — the URL of the location on the Service that is being accessed
● Action taken — this does not include the details of the action, just the nature of the action taken. For example: that a search was performed or a citation was added to a list. Specific details about what was searched or to which list the citation was added is not captured in these logs.
● Time action took to execute
● Error code
● IP address
● Browser data:
○ User Agent
○ Referer – what site You previously came from
○ Type of browser
○ Name of browser
○ Family of browser
○ Company — browser maker (i.e. Google, Apple, etc.)
We also collect anonymous, Aggregate Data for statistical purposes with the help of AWStats. For example, Aggregate Data collected may include the number of visits a user makes, which browser is being used, the duration of the visit, and collectively, the number of unique visitors to the Site. We use such information to help determine ways to improve the Site and may share this anonymous, unattributable information internally within TFCCS and with our affiliate, The Christian Science Publishing Society (“CSPS”). If you have questions about what Aggregate Data we collect, please contact email@example.com.
We may also need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your Personal Data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that Personal Data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
2. How do we use this information and for what purpose?
● Provide the Site and customer support.
● Verify your identity.
● Troubleshoot problems.
● Enforce our Terms of Service or resolve disputes.
● Notify you about changes and updates to the Site.
● Where you expressly opt in to receiving messages or newsletters, the Library may email you targeted marketing and promotional offers from the Library, TFCCS and CSPS. You may change your preferences or unsubscribe from these email messages through the link provided in such communications.
Additionally, the Library may use your information as described below.
We ask for Registration Information in order to send you the messages you signed up for on the Site, like updates or newsletters. Your Registration Information will not be passed to unaffiliated third parties for their marketing purposes. We may also use your email address to send you messages about issues and news about the Site.
Information, which is voluntarily submitted via comments, suggestions, feedback or in the course of support, is used for the purposes of responding to you or for improving the Service. On occasion we may reach out to you to request using your feedback in marketing the Site. We will not share your feedback without your permission, and you may request that we anonymize the feedback. Further, we may from time to time ask you to provide information on your experiences, which will be used to measure and improve quality. You are at no time under any obligation to provide such information. Where you provide it, we may use your contact information to communicate with you about your feedback.
Audit Log and Aggregate Data
We use Audit Log data to monitor the performance and successful operation of the Site. We may use Audit Logs to troubleshoot issues that arise with the Site. Due to the size of these logs and our desire to only hold on to data for the length of time it is useful, We keep these logs indefinitely. Any Audit Log information is kept in summary form for statistical purposes and it is not associated with individual users. You are not able to opt-out of the collection of Audit Log information.
What are cookies and how do we use them?
"Cookies" are text files stored on Your computer or device that provide functionality for the Service and help the Service to gather Aggregate Data.
When you use the Site, we, or our service providers may use or access persistent and session cookies, browser storage and other technologies to: (a) collect and store your email, name, and other account information; (b) collect Aggregate Data, to analyze the usage of the Site; and (c) customize the Site to your preferences. Cookies may reflect anonymized demographic or other data linked to data you voluntarily have submitted to us, e.g., your e-mail address, in hashed, non-human-readable form.
The following types of cookies are used on the Site:
● Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of the Site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of the Site.
● Analytical/Performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the Site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way the Site works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
● Functionality cookies. These are used to recognize you when you return to the Site.
How long do we keep Personal Data?
We will retain your Personal Data for as long as necessary to:
● Provide you the services offered through the Site
● Communicate with you about the Site or other Library services
● Comply with applicable laws, regulatory requests, and orders from competent legal authorities
● Enforce our Terms
Is the data you collect about me secure?
We use commercially reasonable administrative, technical, personnel and physical measures to safeguard Personal Data in our possession against loss, theft, unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification.
What about children using your site — is their privacy protected?
This site does not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of 16 without parental consent. If it is learned that such data has been collected without parental consent, that data will be deleted from the site’s database as quickly as practical.
We recommend minors ask a parent for permission before sending personal information over the Internet. We encourage parents to teach their children about safe Internet practices and to be involved in their children’s online activities.
Data Transfer for Users Outside the United States
What about my privacy on linked sites?
The Site does not respond to DNT signals. DNT differs from cookies. For more information about DNT, go to (https://allaboutdnt.com/). For information about cookies, please see the section above on “What are cookies and related electronic technologies, and how do We use them?”
You may also send a letter to: Attn: Data Protection
The Mary Baker Eddy Library
200 Massachusetts Avenue, P09
Boston, MA 02115