Annie V. C. Leavitt (1844-1929) was born in Pondville, Vermont (now part of Newfane, Vermont), and died in Buffalo, New York. She was a student of Mary Baker Eddy's, completing the Primary class (1883), Normal class (1884), and Obstetrics course (1887). Leavitt was an active member of the Christian Scientist Association and Church of Christ (Scientist), as well as being listed as a Christian Science practitioner and teacher in The Christian Science Journal from 1883 until 1910. She joined The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston, Massachusetts, on September 23, 1892, and was dismissed from membership at her own request in January 1910. Shortly afterwards, she established the Church of Christ, Scientist (Independent). In 1912, she left this church, after settling a lawsuit brought by 18 members she had expelled for disloyalty. She then formed The First Mary Baker G. Eddy Church of Christ, Scientist.